Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Can gas prices become too unaffordable to drive?

36-40 males says:

They soon will be....the average citizen will not be able to refill the car tank multiple times a month

41-45 male says:

That seems to be the aim of the enviro-wacko crowd.

51-55 male says:

For families earning less than $50,000 a year gas is a large percent of their income. If the earnings are over $100,000 it is a minor irritant, because the cost of the gas is a much smaller percentage of total income. There are already some people that have greatly reduced their driving, because of $4 gas.

31-35 male says:

when it does the hatfields will be shooting at them thare mc coys and we will be havin us one helluva civil war and I for one can't wait

61-65 male, Texas says:

It is slowly, but surely reaching that point.

56-60 male says:

Apparently yes.
I saw on the AM news that sales were down...

31-35 female says:

Yes....and I've been looking for work for a while and I got offered a job but the job was over an hours drive...and moving not an option at the moment so I turned down the job due to the gas prices that keep going up...I would have spend half my salary in gas.

41-45 male says:

No. Basic math and supply and demand. Rices will only go as high as profit will allow.

51 55 male says:

Not sure what county you are living in but here in England its mad. We are paying £ 1.44 a Litre, yes that s right a Litre, and not living in a town or city it hurts the pocket badly. It will also keep going up we have been told it might reach £ 2.00 a Litre that s £9 a gallon.

51-55 female says:

yes when gas prices were way up the last time I hardly went anywhere.

26-30 male, Scranton, Pennsylvania says:

they already are, i'm on a limited income and barely have enough money to pay rent/utilities let alone almost $4/gal for gas! good thing i can walk to the store, too bad i won't be able to go out of state anytime soon though...

41-45 male says:

When gas rose in 2007 it began the chain of events leading to the "meltdown of 2008". I understand in California many people were living the "good life" in bedroom communities miles outside large urban centres. These "people" were living in homes financed at a 100% and their income was just enough to get by on a month to month basis.
Then--interest rates began to rise slightly-and then gas went up. Because they were driving so far to work their monthly car fuel bill went through the roof and something had to give--they started selling their houses in mass and when that happens--house prices drop precipitously and many had mortgages worth more than their homes.
It was "the perfect storm" and it spread from consumers, to banks, small and large business's etc.,

That was an example of gas being to "unaffordable to drive".