Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Should America maintain programs like, Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid?

ScreaminMime says:

It's not a matter of should we... we can't! Pyramid schemes always collapse.
Bernie Madoff is in prison for enacting the exact same ponzi schemes :)

Gnatfree says:

Do the words, "give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free" ring any bells?These programs were denounced as creeping socialism by the right wing when they were implemented. Many of those same people who hated these programs now depend on them. These three things among others were thought up to take care of those who cannot take care of themselves. You do not turn your back on a citizen just because they no longer can be productive. If these programs go I'd leave the country as soon as I could. A country that does not take care of the needs of the people will be overthrown and decimated. As every revolution EXCEPT the american one proved, a cruel goverment will be destroyed.

Newvoices says:

If we cancel the program does that mean the government will give everyone who put money into SSN will get their money back?

lipbloss says:

As opposed to letting vulnerable people in their own community suffer?Hmm... going to have to think about that one...

(female 31-35) says:

If you force me to give to someone less fortunate than myself, then the spirit of giving is lost and it becomes stealing. I prefer to give on my own (which I do ALOT) but it's wrong to force anyone to give their money away. No, America should NOT maintain these programs.

(female 46-50) says:

The program is supposed to be a savings account for when you get old. Unfortunately since the 1970s our lovely government has been stealing from the savings to pay for other stuff. I have been required to pay into Social Security since i started working. The idea was that it would be a retirement account for when it is my time to retire. I doubt that will happen. Tt really sucks to think there are 27 working adutls in my family paying into Social Security and 1 senior family member that receives benefits. We the current workers will never see those benefits.

joesdog says:

I'm a nurse working in an assisted living community that is primarily occupied by elderly folk who are financially disadvantaged and get their care payed for by Medicaid. If not for medicaid, these people would be living on the street, and that would be unbearably sad. There are far too many folks like these people living in the US today for private charities to be able to cover them, even at the current level that medicaid/medicare does, which I have to tell you is most certainly not the lap of luxury. Already it is a struggle to find a doctor or specialist who will take medicaid patients because the reimbursement rate is so low, and it's constantly being cut as the state tries to recover from the billions that it owes in budget shortfall.

unknown says:

The people work and pay for this, not the goverment .The goverment has wasted this fund on everything but the programs that it was intended for ,Yes,we need to mantain it and expand it and the goverment needs to keep their hands out of the cookie jar.

(male, 51-55, OH) says:

For the same reason that we have police, fire, and life squads: the community can better help all of its members by acting collectively than by leaving it to each member to do individually.